Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Going back to my roots (and tubers): Texas-style sweet potato casserole.

IMG_9784

IMG_9755

1:42, Thanksgiving day:
The (homemade) marshmallows have been applied to the casserole, because I am dumb and kind of forgot that I need to reheat the whole pan before applying the extremely flammable 'mallows. Clearly, I need more wine.

IMG_9651

2:28 The casserole is about to go in the oven; we'll bake it for 45 minutes or so, then refrigerate till tomorrow, at which point we'll reheat them for serving. If you've got roots in the South, you know what else we'll be doing--topping them with a few of these. Divoon!

2:22
I have seriously got to get me one of these 10" Global chef's knives. Mmmm.

IMG_9644

1:54:
MASH MASH MASH MASH AAAHAHAHAHAHA! *ahem.* Also, is there a discernible difference between orange and yellow sweet potatoes (besides the obvious, of course)?

1:32:
One of the tricks to this dish is to boil the potatoes with their skins on; when they're done boiling, you can just peel them with your fingers. I should also mention that you should let them cool first. As I probably should have done before I stuck my hands into a steaming colander of cooked potatoes. Ow.

1:25:
That last one just refuses to finish cooking. But I am patient. It is only a matter of time before I bend it to my will.

1:18:
Oh, ARSE. There are still two potatoes on the stove, aren't there? I should go check on those.

12:22:
Cauldrons located. Not one, but two! It is indeed a beautiful world. The sweet potatoes (unpeeled) are now a-boilin'. Also, my face almost got burnt off, but that's cool.

12:17
: "Biscuit, do you have a cauldron?"
"Excuse me?"
"Do you have a pot that could double as a cauldron. I have to boil something."
"...I might?"

True story: I have a lot of family in the People's Republic of Texas, where the wide open spaces are wider and opener, the tacos are unparallelled, and even the vegetables come to the table with sugar and spice. This is a recipe that I didn't properly experience until I was nudging the tip of adolescence--the kind of dish that causes my Yankee mother to clutch her heart and make exclamations like "That's not a vegetable! That's dessert!" She may be right, but since when has that stopped me?

Introducing: Sweet potato casserole, Silk-style!

Sweet potato casserole

6-8 Large sweet potatoes
3/4 stick of butter, melted
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
Ground cinnamon (to taste)
Ground nutmeg (to taste)
Dash of salt
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2c evaporated milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 c chopped pecans

Marshmallows to finish
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Wash sweet potatoes (don't peel!) and place them in a large pot with enough water to cover (adding water as needed) until just done. Drain and let cool until they can be handled (heed that part of the step!), then gently peel off the skin.
  3. In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Then, add butter, spices, and salt. As I've said before, I use gargantuan quantities of spice--use however much you're comfortable with.
  4. Add vanilla and milk.
  5. Add eggs. Stir until the concoction is the consistency of thick, creamy mashed potatoes.
  6. Fold in pecans.
  7. Bake in a rectangular casserole dish for 45-60 mins (until it's just starting to brown.
  8. To serve, place in a 300-degree oven for 15 minutes or so. Once they're warm, remove from the oven and place marshmallows all over the top. Broil the marshmallowed dish for just as long as it takes the 'mallows to get brown. Be vigilant! Do not overcook! Marshmallows like to set off the fire alarm, so be careful they don't burn.
And there you have it! A little taste of the South for your Thanksgiving table.

No comments: