Tuesday, November 25, 2008

PiePiePiePie, Part 1: 40-proof pumpkin pie.

IMG_9599

This one tends to go pretty smoothly (knock on wood). A few field notes:

1. I don't measure my spices in this thing. I used to smoke, so I run on the assumption that everyone who will be eating this pie suffers from a similarly depressed state of taste--thus, spices are hiiiiiiigh.

2. The liquor used is entirely at your discretion--I have, in times past, used bourbon, frangelico, butterscotch schnapps, and rum. The latter is really my favorite, as it adds a certain piratical bent to my humble pastry--and anything that makes me say "Arrrr!" is a good thing.

IMG_9593

40-proof pumpkin pie

1/2 batch butter pie crust (enough for an open-top pie)

1x15-oz can pumpkin puree
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c liquor of your choice (this year, it's rum)
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
cinnamon
ginger
cloves
2 large eggs
  1. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
  2. Add the pumpkin
  3. Add the cream and liquor
  4. Add the sugar
  5. Add the spices (to taste) and salt
  6. Mix everything thoroughly, then pour into your prepared pie crust.
  7. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes; then, reduce heat to 350 degrees, and cook for a further 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on rack for min of two hours. Refrigerate till serving.
Delicious! Tradition! Arrrr!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

My family recipe also has rum, though possibly not this much. Looks good!! I also think pumpkin pie REALLY improves with a day of refrigeration.