Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hors d'oeuvres: Cheddar Stuffed Mushrooms

IMG_9767

3:01: They're out, melty, delectable, and gorgeous. POW.

2:45
: The mushrooms are in the oven; 20 minutes and they'll be irresistible.

IMG_9739

12:24: Stuffing is in progress. Mmmmm.

12:04 pm:
The giant mushrooms are coming out and getting buttered up. Also, the mix? BEING CHOPPED AND BREADCRUMBED, thank you very much.

6:02: Dear Biscuit: Of course, my lamb! Love, Shiv.

2:53:
Dear Shiv: On posting the recipe, I realized that I completely neglected to add the breadcrumbs to the mix. Remind me tomorrow? Love, Biscuit.

IMG_9645

2:24:
The stuffing is mixed, cooked, and in the fridge. I think in my earlier distraction, I neglected to chop anything anywhere near as fine as might really be required, so remind me to give the mix a blitz tomorrow before it goes into the Giant Mushrooms of Domination. Next action on this one will be tomorrow afternoon!

1:52: So I got distracted. The mushroom stems and onion have been chopped, and the walnuts are toasting. Halfway there!

IMG_9627

1:23: Holy crap, these mushrooms are huge. I think we could actually serve a few of these as entrees.

12:41:
I have been threatened with bodily harm if these don't make a reappearance on the menu tomorrow. "You've ruined everyone else's mushrooms for me," he said. Oh, if I had a nickel.
First step: a bit of fancy knife-work. Chop-chop!

Cheddar-Stuffed Mushrooms
Adapted, again, from Gourmet Magazine, November 1997, by way of epicurious.

1 1/2 lb mushrooms (I'm using the "Stuffing-Size" mushrooms this time)
1 stick butter
2 tbps olive oil
2/3 c walnuts
2/3 c fresh parsley
1 sweet white onion
1 c grated extra-sharp Cheddar
1/2 c breadcrumbs
1/3 c Worchestershire
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c grated Parmesan

Remove stems from mushrooms. Chop stems finely. Finely chop parsley. Lightly toast walnuts and chop finely. Again with the fine chop on the onion. Saute the chopped stems and onion with 2 tbsp of the butter and the olive oil. Remove from heat, and stir in the remaining ingredients -- walnuts, parsley, Cheddar, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. This can be done a day ahead, and refrigerated.
Melt remaining butter, and brush the mushroom caps all over. Arrange mushrooms on a large baking sheet. Divide mixture into the caps, piling up slightly. Sprinkle grated Parmesan generously on top. Feel free to stuff, cover, and chill a few hours ahead of baking. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, and serve warm.

No comments: